Leslie Tusler was very well known in Barry as a gifted musician and linguist. His early education was at High Street School where he came under the influence of the choir’s two founders. He started piano lessons when he was at the age of fourteen, by then a pupil at Barry County School, he was asked by the legendary W.M. Williams to be the accompanist of his Romilly Boys Choir. After graduating from University College, Cardiff, in 1931, with an honours degree in English, French, German and Latin, he returned to the County School as a modern language teacher. Here he stayed, apart from war service in the Reconnaissance Corps from 1941-45, until he was appointed headmaster of the newly created Romilly Secondary Modern School in 1949. Outside school hours his leisure time was mainly involved with music. He became organist and choirmaster at St. Paul’s Church in 1937, gained his L.R.A.M. in 1939 and, on returning from the army, took over as organist and choirmaster at All Saints’ Church.
Leslie Tusler, Conductor from 1952-1986